How to create (and remember) a strong password
There can be significant consequences to having a weak password on an important account. Compromise of IT assets, loss of confidentiality and integrity and potential firm shut down are all possible if a hacker can access your firm’s core system. Let’s look at what makes a password hackable and then I’ll show you how to create a long and strong password that you’ll actually remember.
What makes a password hackable? Here are the top 5 hacker go-to’s when trying to hack your password:
- Same as your login info (admin:admin)
- Keyboard patterns (asdfgjhkl)
- Common passwords: Season+Year, Month+Year, “Password1”
- Default passwords (guest:guest, or the one that came with your device)
- Password reuse
Creating a long and strong password doesn’t mean you need to use a password that looks like this: W##$huyj&lAQ12^azy. The best password is one that is easy for you to remember and really hard for someone else to guess. You can create a strong password by:
- Use a modified phrase: the following examples show you how you can use a phrase that means something to you or is something you associate with a type of website.
- You-Can’tH@ndle-THE-Tr^th (You can’t handle the truth. A few good Men Reference)
- 4Score&7yrsAgo (Four score and seven years ago - from the Gettysburg Address)
- JusticeDel@yedIsJusticeDen!ed (quote by William E Gladson)
- John8:32Kn0wYeTr^th (Scripture reference)
- Use passwords with common elements but customized for different sites
- Going-2Uz_AMZN$ (going to use Amazon)
- G0ing-2Uz_:)book (going to use Facebook – we used 🙂 for Face in this case)
By implementing these simple skills, you can easily create a strong and memorable passwords with minimal effort. Plus, creating them can actually be fun - and your payoff in increased safety is huge. Feel free to share these tips, just don’t share your passwords.
Written by Chris Michalec posted on June 2, 2019
If you are thinking of switching IT companies but aren’t sure where to start, contact us now.
Companies from all across Southeast US have put their trust in Parkway Tech. From dark web monitoring to basic email hosting and security training, Parkway Tech knows the I.T. needs of companies of all sizes.